A cloud on a title is any irregularity or possible claim on a property that could adversely affect its title. Clouds are typically turned up during a title search, and they can reduce the marketability of a property.
* An error in the legal description of the property on the deed conveying the title
* A mortgage lien release that was not officially recorded
* A signed deed that was not properly recorded
* Unpaid property taxes
* A pending lawsuit over ownership
* An easement that was not properly recorded
* A possible claim by an heir of a former owner