Most title issues come down to one thing: Money. Unpaid bills and judgements can lead to liens being put on your home, and if liens are present, your title is unclear. A title with an unclear title can’t be transferred to a new owner.
The biggest lien on your title is one you actually want: Your mortgage. Fail to pay your mortgage, however, and the bank can take your property from you.
Here are some other money issues that can lead to problems with your title:
- Unpaid child support
- Unpaid alimony
- Unpaid court judgements
- Delinquent property taxes
- Tax liens, including federal, state, city, county, income, payroll, school, or sales taxes
- Unpaid contractors or workers
- Delinquent credit cards, if the credit card company secures a judgement against you
- Home equity lines of credit (HELOC)
- Second mortgage